Hybrid® Orbit System Glass Balustrade - Technical Specifications
Orbit system glass balustrade (circular handrail) drawings, structural calculations, technical materials specification and loading tests.
TYPICAL 3M ELEVATION
Orbit Technical Materials Specification
Balustrade and base structure:
Powder Coating or Anodising:
Primary Insert Posts
Loading is taken from Table 2 of BS 6180:2011 Barriers in and about buildings – Code of practice
A copy of this table can viewed here: Table 2 Minimum horizontal imposed loads for parapets, barriers and balustrades.
Residential (Covers occupancy types i, ii, ii, iv, v, viii & ix shown in Table 2 above)
- Horizontal uniformly distributed line load (at 1.1m handrail height) - 0.74 kN/m
- Uniformly distributed load applied to the infill - 1.0 kN/m2
- A point load applied to part of the infill - 0.5 kN
Public (Covers occupancy types vi, vii, x & xiii shown in Table 2 above)
- Horizontal uniformly distributed line load (at 1.1m handrail height) - 1.5 kN/m
- Uniformly distributed load applied to the infill - 1.5 kN/m2
- A point load applied to part of the infill - 1.5 kN
NB: it is assumed that the wall/structure being fixed to can support the required loads.
The Structural calculations below are for each system type. There are calculation below for residential occupancies and also public areas as specified above in Table 2 Minimum horizontal imposed loads for parapets, barriers and balustrades.
Balcony and Balustrading Systems in the UK must comply with BS6180, the loadings in BS6399 and building regulations.
The Systems have been load tested by independent engineering companies to test physically and in practice the ability of the systems to resist loadings.
The tests include; deflection under maximum load, loads uniformly distributed and point load tests. Both the handrails and glass infill panels were subjected to the testing. The testing confirmed that the systems meet and exceed the required criteria.
- Load testing Appendix A: pictures
- Point load testing on our balustrade system glass infill
- Uniformly distributed load testing on our balustrade system glass infill
- Introduction document for load tests
- Load testing on our balcony balustrade system